Terbinafine 250 mg
Erbina tablet contains terbinafine. Terbinafine is a synthetic allyamine antifungal drug which mainly used to treat fungal infection of the skin.
- Skin fungal infection
- Pityriasis versicolor (eruptions or patches on skin)
- Fungal infections on nails
- Onychomycosis of toe nails or finger nail (thickened, brittle, crumbly or ragged nails.)
Once daily for 6 to 12 weeks. (Duration of the use of the drug depends on type of infection)
Mechanism of action
The drug produces its fungicidal action by blocking the essential component present in the fungal cell membrane i.e ergosterol by inhibiting the sequence of monooxygenase . Thus the decreased amount of ergosterol and monooxygenase causes accumulation of the sequences and contributes to its anti-fungal activity.
The drug after oral administration gets absorbed by the gastrointestinal tract
About 99% of the drug is bound to the plasma protein and metabolism of the drug is through hepatic enzymes i.e cytochrome P 450. The drug attains its half life in 36 hrs.
About 70% of the drug is excreted through urine.
- In patients with previous allergic reaction
- Alteration in taste
- Can cause some depressive symptoms
- Loss of smell
- Immunodeficient patient should be regular monitored for their blood count. The drug can cause decease in absolute lymphocyte counts.
(Low absolute lymphocyte indicates some disorder in the body.)