Isotretinoin 5 mg
Isotretinoin 10 mg
Isotretinoin 20 mg
Retizo capsules contains Isotretinoin. It is also called as 13-cis retinoic acid which is mainly used for the treatment of nodular acne.
- Severe acne
- Excessive seborrhea
- Acne agminata (It is an uncommon skin disorder characterized by red-brown lumps and bumps on the face, especially the eyelids, forehead, cheeks and chin.
0.5mg/kg/day in single or two divided doses.
Mechanism of action
The drug produces its action by inhibiting sebum production and reduces sebaceous gland size. The drug also have dermal anti-inflammatory effects and regulates the cell proliferation and differentiation.
The drug after oral administration is absorbed by the GI tract. The bioavailability of the drug is increased in presence of food and milk.
About 99.9% of the drug is bound to plasma protein mainly to albumin. Metabolism of the drug is through liver by CYP isoenzymes to 4 – oxo isotretinoin.
The drug metabolites are secreted out of the body through urine and in unchanged form in feces.
- Concomitant administration of tetracyclins
- Pregnant and lactating patients
- Anorexia nervosa
- Patient with history of photoallergy or psychatric disorder
- Not intended for the use of prepubertal acne
- Severe renal impairment
- Patient should be regularly monitored for plasma lipids, glucose levels regularly